Thursday, May 10, 2007

Gahh, Students!

The last few days, b/f has been in town, and so I haven't had the opportunity really to go online or check my work e-mail, but I did that today, and man, am I sorry. There were 12 messages from students bitching about their grades--though, granted, four were from the same person. I hate that they think they can bully me into changing their grades. And I have to admit that I am particularly cranky right now anyway, and their complaints after the fact really irritate me. Frankly, after the semester is over (or a week before it's over, in the case of one student) is NOT the time to be pestering your teacher about how the grade can be improved... You know how the grade can be improved? DO A GOOD JOB THE FIRST TIME AND TURN IN YOUR WORK. Gee, how hard is that?

This is the BS that makes me HATE being a teacher. I am so sick of their dramas and trying to guilt me into fixing their grades. One student who got a a C in the class wrote me a note telling me how suprised and disappointed he was to receive a C. I wrote him back and said that if he had turned in the second annotation assignment and received at least an 78% on it, he would have earned enough points to get his precious B. I'm sure he's going to e-mail me back and try to convince me that he turned it in--but the fact is, students have to turn in a hard copy for me to grade, and an uploaded copy into a anti-cheating database of student work, and when I checked it, there was only 1 out of the 2 annotation assignments there. So he won't have a leg to stand on--but the fact is, he's going to e-mail me any way and bitch some more. I just hate this stuff.

In other news, I'm leaving tomorrow to visit my Mom. It will be a welcome respite from this hellhole city I live in.

1 comment:

Zan said...

Ah, but you see, if you're not in the city, you can legally ignore their email. Because I said so. See?