Thursday, August 30, 2007

Meetings!

I'm glad that I don't have to put in an appearance at work tomorrow, because I don't think I could stand having to ...er... sit through one more meeting this week. I had 2 on Tuesday, yesterday, and today. The ones today included a meeting for all the liberal arts college advisors, and also a faculty meeting for our department.

I can't complain too much about either of the meetings I attended today. The faculty meeting was over in less than an hour (!!!), and the advisors' meeting, which was an hour and a half, at least provided us with candy and drinks. (I'd have preferred lunch, but beggers can't be choosers, as they say.)

I'm really of two minds when it comes to meetings. There is something to be said for the energy and enthusiasm they can give you when you're actually discussing something interesting. In fact, it's often been my experience that good meetings really do spark ideas and creativity. However, we've all sat through meetings where they discuss useless trivialities till all you think about is how much more exciting it would be if someone would just come in with a high-powered vacuum and suck out your brain through your nose.

I suppose, if my boss manages to persuade the Higher Ups that they really need to hire me as an advisor full time, I can look forward to all kinds of meetings. But that would be ok. I'm not a meeting person. But I could become one if I were pulling in $50K a year. ;)

No comments: